L.E.V. FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES THE FIRST NAMES OF ITS 17TH LINE-UP IN GIJÓN, WHICH WILL TAKE PLACE BETWEEN APRIL 27 AND 30
- With the support of Gijón’s Town Council and the Principality of Asturias, the festival will host a four-day line-up in different spaces of the town, including local, national and international artists, featuring live shows and audiovisual performances.
- Renowned German digital artist Robert Henke will headline this year’s line-up with his project CBM 8032 AV at Teatro de la Laboral, where French composer Hélène Vogelsinger and many other artists to be announced will also play, on Friday 28 and Saturday April 29.
- Night activities will be resumed at Nave de LABoral Centro de Arte on Saturday 29 with a long list of shows, featuring the latest audiovisual project by Throwing Snow, Dragons AV.
- Daytime shows, also on Saturday, will still take place at Muséu del Pueblu d’Asturies, featuring artists as Ikonika from Hyperdub Records.
- A first in this new L.E.V. Festival: morning shows on Sunday April 30 at Jardín Botánico Atlántico, and the Festival will be closed with an afternoon audiovisual show on the same day at Teatro Jovellanos.
- This year’s line-up will also include audiovisual installations and activities related to extended realities, in synergy with the Arenas Movedizas project, LABoral Centro de Arte and Centro de Cultura Antiguo Instituto.
- Tickets will be available soon at www.levfestival.com
L.E.V. Festival (Laboratorio de Electrónica Visual) celebrates its17th year in Gijón from April 27 to 30. Once more, with the support of Gijón’s Town Council and the Principality of Asturias, the festival will turn the Asturian town into the epicenter of electronic sound experimentation and contemporary audiovisual and digital creation with a four-day line-up in different spaces and cultural centers. As usual, audiovisual performances and musical live shows will be the key elements of this year, alongside with audiovisual art installations and activities related to extended realities.
Robert Henke will headline this year’s line-up on Friday April 28 at Teatro de la Laboral, showcasing his project CBM 8032 AV, created with vintage computers. With this audiovisual performance, the German digital artist explores the beauty of simple graphics and sounds, using five Commodore CBM 8032 computers. This work plays with the ambivalence of contemporary aesthetics and the use of obsolete, limited, 40-year old technology. Technically speaking, everything about this project could have been done in 1980, but the artistic ideas behind this installation would be impossible without the cultural background of today.
Also at Teatro de la Laboral, on Saturday 29, Hélène Vogelsinger will showcase her modular synthesizer project Metaphysical Alteration, where she explores different spaces to connect with their energies, creating unique, poetic moments. The signature sound of this French composer, producer and sound designer is a blend of minimalist, repetitive music, lyrical singing and deep, elevated layers.
In this 17th line-up, the festival , Saturday night will once more include a lengthy line-up at Nave de LABoral Centro de Arte. One of the most outstanding names included is the acclaimed producer Throwing Snow, aka Ross Tones. At L.E.V. Festival, Tones will showcase his fourth album Dragons AV, a work halfway between science and ancient wisdom, between prehistoric rites and the complexities of the contemporary world. The ten tracks in this album combine solid electronic beats with the physicality of countless acoustic instruments, accompanied by a neural network of visual elements created with the artist and technologist Matt Woodham.
As in previous years, there will be Saturday daytime live shows at Muséu del Pueblu d’Asturies. Among the most popular names which will play in this space is Ikonika, one of the most respected names in the UK bass diaspora. After more than ten years of activity, four albums, dozens of EPs and live shows all over the world, and specially known for her affiliation and her numerous releases with Hyperdub Records, Ikonika is an artist constantly evolving. Her last Bubble Up EP, with a strong presence of amapiano sound, reflects her diverse interests and musical influences, generating a show where she combines her vocals with live edits from her songs.
On Sunday April 30, and as a first in this 2023, L.E.V. will bring back daytime shows at Jardín Botánico Atlántico de Gijón, with an alternative format which will leave the audience in awe. In the afternoon, the festival will come to a close with a special show at Teatro Jovellanos.
Besides, throughout the four days of the festival, different spaces of the town will host several audiovisual installations and activities related to extended realities, such as virtual or augmented reality. As in previous years, this is collaboration with Arenas Movedizas, the experimental project about audiovisual culture, with the support of the European project RIT (Realities in Transition), Centro de Cultura Antiguo Instituto, LABoral Centro de Arte and the european project EMAP (European Media Art Platform)
L.E.V. (Laboratorio de Electrónica Visual) is a platform of production, promotion and experimentation related to electronic sound creations, audiovisual creations and digital art. An open area of research, created by DATATRON collective, which uses the latest technological tools to explore contemporary creation with national and international avant-garde artists and new and trailblazing creators, performing several activities and shows in public spaces, with two main big annual events: L.E.V. Festival, en Gijón, y L.E.V. Matadero, en Madrid.
L.E.V. Festival 2023
April 27-30 | Gijón
An initiative by: Datatron
Supported by: Gijón’s Town Council and the Principality of Asturias
Patners: RIT (Realities In Transition), LABoral Centro de Arte y Creación Industrial, EMAP (European Media Art Platform), Arenas Movedizas, Laboral Ciudad de la Cultura, Conseyu de Mocedá de Xixón, Radio 3, OCIMAG, CLOT Magazine.
Spaces: Teatro Jovellanos, Teatro de la Laboral, Laboral Centro de Arte y Creación Industrial, Centro de Cultura Antiguo Instituto, Muséu del Pueblu d’Asturies, Escuela de Comercio and Jardín Botánico Atlántico
Graphic design: Pasajero37
Motion design: Holke79
Sound design and music: Jorge Haro